Given a reasonable opportunity, CFED believes every family can save, build assets and create a more prosperous future for themselves and their children. The proof lies not only in the results of rigorous evaluations, but in the lives of tens of thousands of low-income and even very poor families who have turned opportunity into enduring economic and social benefits. We believe that such an opportunity economy will not only produce a fairer, more cohesive and inclusive society, but a more prosperous, resilient and sustainable one. In the next three years, CFED’s unique combination of expertise and vision will help bring greater financial security and opportunity to millions more Americans.
CFED has identified six enduring values that guide all aspects of our strategic choices and operations:
- Respect for the productive capacity of low-wealth people, the talents of our partners, and the competence and creativity of our Board and Staff.
- Enterprise in all its forms, in low-income communities, all sectors and within CFED.
- Collaboration, as a special organizational calling and competency, engendered by a conviction that our success requires the varied talents and contributions of many, that a rich diversity of race, gender, background and perspectives and a commitment to learning from others strengthens our work.
- Impact on the economic prospects of millions of low-income families and the economy as a whole through making markets more inclusive and embedding savings and other programs in existing systems and institutions.
- Integrity through allegiance to the highest ethical standards, honesty, accountability and consistency in words and actions.
- Sustainability by identifying viable revenue streams to support organizational and market activities through policy advocacy, making the business case and engaging in strategic partnerships.
Our Vision and Values are reflected in what we see as an ambitious yet reasonable Strategic Plan, designed to create pathways to financial security and opportunity in support of the efforts of millions of low- and moderate-income American families to claim their piece of the American Dream.