The Self-Employment Tax Initiative (SETI)
What is SETI?
The Self-Employment Tax Initiative (SETI) is a small business development strategy that takes advantage of the tax code to help low-income, self-employed individuals formalize and grow their businesses, create jobs and access tax-based asset-building opportunities. SETI recognizes the tax season as an incredibly opportune time to introduce self-employed business owners to a host of products and services that support small business development and asset building.
- SETI awards grants to community-based organizations that offer free or affordable tax preparation assistance to low-income, self-employed individuals.
- SETI conducts research and facilitates field building among our local partners to identify optimal ways to serve self-employed people.
- SETI promotes sound tax policy as it relates to the self-employed.
What Opportunities Are We Creating with This Approach?
- Asset building for low-income households.
- Growing and expanding micro businesses and creating jobs.
- Building a more sustainable economy.
More About SETI
- Click here to download the SETI Program Overview, which provides an overview of the SETI strategy and the program's history.
- Click here to download the SETI Fact Sheet, with data about self-employed individuals, the value of their contributions to the American economy and the opportunity to help them grow at tax time.
- Click here or download the SETI Tax Year 2011 Partners & Programs Summary to learn more about the work we're supporting during the 2012 tax season.
- CFED and the National Community Tax Coalition partnered to develop the Fundamentals of Recordkeeping course on the NCTC Online University. The course takes self-employed individuals from start to finish through the recordkeeping process. The material guides the client from the basics of determining their self-employed classification, to the rationale behind keeping good records, the types of necessary supporting documents, the details of tracking expenses, depreciation, business use of home and more, testing their comprehension through quick quizzes along the way. Check it out!