Taxpayer Opportunity Network
VITA tax preparers will be changing tax preparation software in the 2017 filing season. The IRS-SPEC office is in the process of facilitating that transition by testing the new TaxSlayer software, updating VITA forms and guidelines, training IRS-SPEC employees and developing training products for all VITA staff nationwide. The Taxpayer Opportunity Network is participating in this effort by helping SPEC identify challenges and explore resolutions, assisting with VITA product development and enhancing communication to the VITA field on an ongoing basis.
It’s never too early to start training yourself and prepping your volunteers for the new software. Let's take a look at all the resources that are already available for you:
- TaxSlayer Practice Lab – The IRS has just released the TaxSlayer Practice Lab, providing a simulated VITA/TCE learning environment in the TaxSlayer Pro Online software. Over 2,000 users have already set up accounts and begun working with the system to prepare, edit and print returns. (NOTE: Please use the generic password “TRAINPROWEB” to gain access to lab. You will be prompted to change your username and password once you are in the system.)
- Webinar: Introduction to the TaxSlayer Practice Lab – This webinar took place on June 24 with the Taxpayer Opportunity Network and welcomed Kim Manuel from TaxSlayer. Participants learned more about the new Practice Lab and the TaxSlayer software.
- Slain: Let's Slay Together - Click here to learn more about the new Taxpayer Opportunity Network blog focused on TaxSlayer quirks and changes.
- Frequently Asked Questions – This comprehensive TaxSlayer FAQ covers everything from basic functionality to reports.
- TaxSlayer Workshop at the ALC – At the 2016 Assets Learning Conference (ALC) on September 27, participants joined a three-hour, interactive and hands-on workshop on TaxSlayer. Click to watch the full recording.
- TaxSlayer VITA Blog- Click to read more from the TaxSlayer blog to get more updates on software news, quality alerts, and more!
- SPEC Fact Sheet: VITA/TCE Transition to TaxSlayer Software – This fact sheet summarizes many of the administrative aspects of the software transition, including the loss of carry-forward data and limitations on access to prior year returns prepared using TaxWise Online.
- Tax Prep Dispatch: Change – This Dispatch discusses some of the anxieties surrounding the software change.
TaxSlayer Training Manual
- TaxSlayer Training Manual: Section 1 - Login and Configuration
- TaxSlayer Training Manual: Section 2 - Preparing a Return
- TaxSlayer Training Manual: Section 3 - Electronically Filing a Return
- TaxSlayer Training Manual: Section 4 - Installing TaxSlayerPro Desktop
As more information is released, Taxpayer Opportunity Network members will be the first to receive it. If you’re not a Network Member yet, click here to join.